1st Prize: All expenses paid trip to Germany to read their entry
- The competition is open to anyone living in Germany or The United Kingdom1. If you live in an English or German speaking Country and would like to submit a contribution, you may do so, but you will not be eligible for the first/travel prize.
- This project is open for entrants from people of all ages and all philosophical and religious traditions and none.
- The closing date is midnight 2nd December, UK time for UK entrants, and German time for German entrants.
- Entry is via email accompanied by the entry form on this website only. All entries should be in .doc or PDF format only.
- All entries should have the pen name of the entrant on each page. Pages should be numbered.
- All judging will be done anonymously. Your real name should only appear on the entry form. Your entries should have your pen name on each page.
- Entries will be judged in two categories: over 19 and under 19.
Entrants born after 2nd December 1995 will be place in the category 19 years and below.
Entrants born on or before 2nd December 1995 will be place in the category 19 years and above.
- Each entry should consist of
a) a letter to 1914, approximately 500 words long
b) some proof that the addressee of the letter to 1914 existed
c) a letter, essay, story or poem to 2114. Letters, essays or stories should be approximately 1,200 to 1,500 words long. Poems should be up to 50 lines long.
- All entries must be the original work of the entrant. They should not have been published previously anywhere and should remain unpublished until after the announcement of the winners.
- Any failure to comply with the entry conditions will result in disqualification.
- Entry is free.
- The decision of the judges is final.
plus publication in a special commemorative book
Shortlist: Publication in a special commemorative book and online
Longlist: Publication online
The first prize will be awarded to one person from each category, i.e. above and below nineteen years old.
We would love to extend the full project to other involved countries but sadly don't have the manpower or funding. However, if you'd like to run a companion project in your own homeplace, we'd be happy to let you know how we set this project up, and assist in the creation of sibling Books of Plans Hopes and Dreams.